Supporters Urged to Back Swansea High Street to Win ‘Best British High Street’ Award
Aug 13, 2019
Swansea High Street is in the running to win a coveted Great British High Street Award, having made the finalist shortlist – and Swansea BID (Business Improvement District) is urging supporters to show their support in the public vote.
Swansea High Street in on a shortlist of 12 high streets across Wales and the wider UK, in the Champion Award category, with Narberth and Treorchy also in the running in Wales. The Great British High Street judging panel looks critically at the issues of Community, Customer Experience, Environment and Digital Transformation, when making its assessment. And judges were impressed by Swansea High Street’s steady improvement, thanks to:
- Work by Swansea BID to support High Street traders and boost their visibility and profile
- Multi-million pound investment by local developers, Coastal Housing, to revitalise High Street
- Targeted crime reduction initiatives by South Wales Police
- Eye-catching businesses, many operated by young entrepreneurs, being established in High Street, showing a vote of confidence in its sustainable future
- Swansea BID was instrumental in ensuring Swansea was the first city in Wales to benefit from the free InLinkUK BT service. Two of these wifi points are in High Street – a boon for local business by boosting connectivity.
- Swansea Tech Hub, established in the Urban Village, providing space for 20 digital start-ups
- Two multi-million student housing blocks being erected next to Swansea train station, set to be populated with more than 1,300 students
- High Street’s strong arts and culture offering, thanks to venues like The Hyst and Volcano Theatre, ensuring High Street remains vibrant long after evening commuters have headed to the station
- The positive work of High Street Traders Association as a strong voice for the High Street community
Russell Greenslade, Swansea BID Chief Executive, said: “We are very pleased to see Swansea High Street in the running for this coveted national prize. We hope Swansea supporters will get behind the important public vote, to help propel High Street to a win.
“Swansea High Street has a number of challenges – as do all High Streets across the UK – and these are being faced head-on by all of the relevant partners and stakeholders. It is important that we recognise the very positive work that is going on to boost the fortunes and the success of High Street, long-term. And it is important that we note the improvements that have been going on over the past years and months. Ongoing investment, a sense of local pride, targeted crime reduction initiatives, the hard work and commitment of High Street businesses, and a determination to make one of the busiest thoroughfares into Swansea an ongoing success story, have already left their mark on High Street, and they will continue to do so. Let’s get behind Swansea High Street and make our support known in the public voting section of the great British Hight Street Awards.”
Members of the public can cast their vote here:
The winners of the Great British High Street Awards will be announced in November.